Saturday 3 September 2011

Memorial in Waiting

This week, I visited a local resident who shared about a woman from Aparima who was very involved with the Methodist Church there. Several years ago my friend was given a white marble plaque with a very touching inscription about this woman who died in 1928. She wasn't sure what to do with it. It's not really appropriate for the museum but where should it go? These people, the Kellows, had no children. I suggested the Otautau Cemetery but then the woman wasn't sure that Mrs Kellow was buried there. She thought they might be up in Christchurch. So I got onto the SDC Cemetery Search page and found she was buried at the Calcium Cemetery. Maybe that is the place for this memorial plaque to go. I gave my friend this information so we'll see what happens next.

My friend has written a bit about Mrs Kellow's life, and hopefully will contribute it to our biography files. As a side note, we have over 70 obituaries in our files of early settlers and the succeeding generations, and we're always keen to receive more.

It just goes to show the interesting things people have that relate to the past and how rewarding it can be to volunteer at the museum.

We're open Wednesdays and Sundays, 2pm-4pm, and by request. Your comments are always welcome!

No comments: